Sunday, April 4, 2010

Overqualified

Overqualified, as defined by dictionary.com, is an adjective, meaning to have more education, training, or experience than is required for a job or position.

Overqualified. Is it the new kiss of death in a job market where the number of applicants out number the jobs five to one?

Overqualified. Isn't that why I went back to school? So I could have more education, more training, and more experience than the schmuck standing next to me.

In the past year I've been looking for work and sent out plenty of resumes for jobs that I knew I was 'overqualified' for. When that department store didn't call me in to interview for the sales clerk position, I really wasn't surprised.

The shocker came last week when I was rejected for a job that I was perfectly suited for. Rejected on the grounds that I am "overqualified." The ad for a copywriter clearly stated the company was looking for someone with a background in journalism. My interviewer said I would be "an asset to the company." Then, a few days later when I made the follow-up call, I was told the position had been offered to someone else, because "we thought you were overqualified and wouldn't stay with the company." WHAT?! Since when has being overqualified been a liability?

Apparently there are millions of overqualified people running rampant, looking for work. It's spreading faster than the black plague. Note the cynicism. Then note more on the topic here in this article written by Bonnie Lowe

No comments:

Post a Comment