Last week the Christian Science Monitor published an article about the downfalls of the unemployed taking temporary or part-time jobs. This creates an entirely new class of workers, not unlike the working poor, called the underemployed. What this also does, is further destroys a persons lifestyle. Folks who have already taken huge pay cuts, sometimes as much as two-thirds, are finding their unemployment benefits cut even more after taking a temporary or part-time job.
I find myself among these ranks. Twelve months unemployed. Do I consider looking for work with a temp agency? After reading the CSM article it certainly makes one think twice. I can't afford another cut in my unemployment benefits when the temporary job ends. My benefits are a mere one-third of what I earned when I was working. In fact, my benefits amount to less than minimum wage. I admit, a job that pays state, or even federal minimum wage is starting to look pretty good. But a temporary or part-time gig? Not so fast! What are the repercussions going to be?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment